Friday, March 12, 2010

This weekend, all classes should finish their novels and worksheets/summaries to be turned in on Monday, Mar. 15. We will discuss the books in class to wrap up the unit.

On Tuesday, we will start a new unit dealing with tolerance and diversity. Students will come home on Monday with a note explaining what will be studied for about the next 3-4 weeks. If you have questions, please contact me at the school - 801-374-4980 or patd@provo.edu.

Because I received a fellowship from the United States Holocaust Museum, I enjoy teaching my students about the Holocaust and the teenagers who lived during that time. Students in each class will have the opportunity to read memoirs and diaries of teenagers that shared their thoughts, fears, and worries as they were growing up. I always ask my students to make connections to the things they read, so during this unit, my students will examine what they do each day compared to a teenager who may have been in hiding, went to another country, or went to a concentration camp.

Everything that I share with the students is appropriate for 8th graders and we discuss how to handle situations with tolerance and acceptance. Ask your student about the activities that are happening in class each day. Every year proves to be a great experience for them. I hope that happens again this year. I will post each week what we are doing as there will be weekly assignments, projects, and readings.

1 comment:

  1. 1)What was the name of your book?
    Jackaroo

    2)Who were the members of your group?
    ...I don't know if I should put their names.

    3)What grade world you give the group overall? Explain why you gave that grade.

    94% Because we worked a lot of the time and we finished the book on time. Almost all of us were behind the first day, then most of us had caught up by the third. When it came to the project, we discussed our plans and when we came to the conclusion, we talked, about the coat of arms and of nonsense which is why I give a 94%

    4)What grade do you feel you earned? Why?

    Now that I think about it, I deserve a 93% due to my being behind the first day and the procrastination on the street sign.

    5) What did you learn from the book? How can you apply or relate to this message?

    I learned that YOU must be the change you want to see in the world, people were unjustly doing acts of wrong, nobody would stop them, so she did, it also points out that anybody can be a hero, Gwyn, an innkeepers daughter(but she has a lot of money!!!) then Burl, the quiet man that he is, he was Jackaroo, The Lord was the Jackaroo, in between ruling a country he had the time to help people.

    6)What was the best part of the group work? What was the best part of reading this book?

    The best part of the group work was probably the sitting together at a table, it helped me get to know people in the class that I normally wouldn't have, and the best part of reading the book was that you could discuss it with people and could talk about the same crazy thing that happened in the last chapter.

    7)What would you suggest I change for next year when doing group novels? Why?

    I would set a chapter/page limit for every group, that way people wouldn't go "oh no! It's due tomorrow and we have read one chapter!"

    8)Do yo have a suggestion for a different novel that would be thematically appropriate?

    Touching Spirit Bear

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete